Is your hearing not quite what is used to be? That is not uncommon… nor is the fact that hearing loss can hinder effective communication. Communication in the presence of hearing loss can be a difficult and stressful task for both parties involved. However, the difficulty can be alleviated provided that both parties work together and take responsibility for effective communication.
The following are some helpful tips to improve your communication with others.
Tips for those with hearing loss
- Ask for what you need. Supply helpful tips for the other person to best communicate with you.
- Do your best to face people when having a conversation. It is easier to see expressions and read lips when you are face to face.
- Identify tranquil locations for conversations.
- Keep a sense of humor. Absurd misunderstandings create hilarious memories that you can laugh about in the future.
- See our audiologists at Landmark Hearing today!
Tips for those without hearing loss
- Gain the individual’s attention before speaking to them. It is not helpful to yell across the room to the person.
- Limit loud background noises by finding a quieter location to talk. Turn down the television or radio.
- Clearer is better than louder.
- In group settings, ensure that only one person speaks at a time.
- Remember that for those with a hearing impairment, it is an issue of hearing, not an issue of understanding. Be patient if you have to repeat yourself from time to time.
Ready to Take the Next Step? We Can Help!
Our connection to our family and friends is vital to our mental, physical and emotional well-being. Hearing loss can create barriers to that connection if we let it do so. The best tip we can give you about improving communication if you or a loved one is struggling with hearing impairment is to get a thorough hearing evaluation from one of our audiologists at Landmark Hearing Services. Everyone benefits when hearing loss is properly treated and effective communication skills are used. For yourself and your family, contact us at Landmark Hearing Services today!
Call us today at (408) 773-9933 or make an appointment online at http://www.landmarkhearing.com/appointments/
Landmark Hearing Services 877 W. Fremont Ave, Suite I-4, Sunnyvale, CA 94087